cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Monitoring Method

reylie99
Level 1
Level 1

Is everyone still using SNMP for network monitoring, or have things moved on to API-based methods? If SNMP is going out of style I'd love some kind of reference help or tutorials on what's next. I am proficient with SNMP but if it's going to start getting dropped I don't want to fall behind.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes still SNMP is major across network, things may change later AI/ML/API, but still SNMP is major focus.

Not sure your environment, Majority of network equimnent still not ready or some ready with API.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

interesting question. I found the article below:

Top SNMP Alternatives because SNMP is dying (updated 2021)

https://bestmonitoringtools.com/top-snmp-alternatives-because-snmp-is-dying/

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

SNMP monitoring will still along because of the following reasons: 

1. SNMP has low overhead (CPU & memory)
  2. SNMP monitoring is cheap (just about everyone-and-anyone is doing it)
  3. There are a lot of SNMP monitoring platforms out there compared to a number of API

By the way, a few months ago, I saw this exact question. 

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- snmp is a 'layer 2' tool in many network monitoring tools and network manager software. It basic and inherent supported by any networking device. That being said you may be more dedicated to studying the higher level products based on snmp instead.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '