Views
Helpful
Replies

no speed or duplex commands available after installing HWIC

Angelo ANELLO
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

as the title says, i recently installed a HWIC card into our 2801 router running IOS 12.4(24)T8.  The card is recognized by the router and is set to GigabitEthernet 0/3/0.  I enter the interface mode and apply commands and they are fine except when i try to apply the 'speed' and 'duplex' commands.  they are not available under this interface and im not sure why nor am i sure how to rectify it.  it is currently not connected only installed.

has anyone else come across this issue before?  does anyone have any idea how to fix it so that i can set the speed and duplex? does the cable need to be connected to the interface before i can assign these settings?  here are the current interface settings:

interface GigabitEthernet0/3/0
 description WAN Link
 bandwidth 100000
 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 
 ip flow ingress
 shutdown
 no negotiation auto

your help is appreciated

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HWIC-1GE-SFP operates in 1 Gbps and full duplex all the time if you are using fibre optic SFP. 

Because this interface is WAN-facing, you could potentially rate limit the speed if you use Policy Shaping.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HWIC-1GE-SFP operates in 1 Gbps and full duplex all the time if you are using fibre optic SFP. 

Because this interface is WAN-facing, you could potentially rate limit the speed if you use Policy Shaping.