cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP on Cisco 2960-L Switch

Anton Timmerman
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure time synchronisation on a Cisco WS-C2960L-16TS-LL switch.

I don't get it working. Can somebody help me?

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swadmin.html#47087

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

We could give you better advice if we knew what you had actually configured. Can you post the switch config? If not the complete config then at least the interfaces and the ntp part. Also post the output of show ip route.

As a first step in troubleshooting, can the switch ping to the configured ntp server?

HTH

Rick

@Anton Timmerman wrote:

I don't get it working.

I am with @Richard Burts.  

Provide us with more useful (and relevant) information other than "it is not working".

Anton Timmerman
Level 1
Level 1

Thnx For your reply Richard Leo & Marc. I will do that!

I do know I can ping the router  were the switch is connected to. I tried setting it up by the Web interface and by CLI.

I will upload the config when im able to since im a few days of now.

Thanx a lot in advance.

Is the switch configured to learn NTP time from the router? Does the router have authoritative NTP time? (Is the router configured to use NTP to learn time from some other source? If so what is that source. It would be helpful if you would post the output of show ntp on the router.)

HTH

Rick

@Anton Timmerman wrote:

I do know I can ping the router  were the switch is connected to.

Post the complete output to the command "sh ntp associate" taken from both the switch and the router. 

Is there an NTP ACL in the router? 

Anton Timmerman
Level 1
Level 1

First of all: Best wishes for 2022

Attached is the config from the switch. I'm aware it's a basic config but the switch is just in a test environment and i just want to have it properly configured. I'm familiar with the CLI since i did CCNA 123 in the pas but that is about 12 years ago.

Thanx for helping

Anton Timmerman
Level 1
Level 1

Hereby an updatet config file.

NTP is working now.

If you guys have any feedback / suggestions thats more then welcome!

You say "Hereby an updatet config file" but there is not an updated config file in that post. 

The post before that does have a basic config file - no ntp in that config. I do have 2 comments about that config:

- you have both enable secret and enable password. When enable secret is configured then enable password is ignored. You should remove it from the config.

- you have configured G0/1 as a trunk. But the switch has only a single vlan. If the intention is that the switch will have several vlans then having a trunk makes sense. But as it stands now there is no reason for a trunk.

Glad to know that ntp is working.

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Thanx for your reply. 

The config is pretty basic indeed. I was struggling with NTP. Cause seems to be there was no DNS configured on the switch by default.

I removed the enable password. This was configured at the reset of the switch.

I upload the last version of the config. 

Is there more that should be configured for a default switch configuration?

For the VLAN's a do agree , have the configure them further.

I have looked at the updated switch config. Seeing how you have configured ntp using a name for the ntp server does explain why it did not work until you configured DNS on the switch.

Looking at the config I notice that it has no service password-encryption. That is not necessarily a problem, especially if the switch is in a test/lab environment. But in general I suggest enabling password encryption. Right now your vty passwords appear in clear text. If you enable password encryption they will no longer be clear text, which does slightly improve the security for the switch. 

HTH

Rick