Views
Helpful
Replies

NX7K NTP Configuration

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We've a NX7K with a single VDC and several VRFs. I wanted to configure this 7K as an NTP client and implemented the confgs required according this doc : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/system-management/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0111.ht...

There's connectivity to the ntp server but when I issue the command "show clock" the clock doesn't seem to be synched with the NTP time-host. Here's the configs:

-vdc-1(config)# sh run ntp
--------------------
!Command: show running-config ntp
!Time: Thu Oct 18 16:15:06 2018

version 7.3(2)D1(2)
logging level ntp 7
ntp server 10.1.200.60
ntp server 10.1.255.30 prefer
ntp source-interface  Ethernet1/3

vdc-1(config)# sh ntp status
Distribution : Disabled
Last operational state: No session

--------------------

vdc-1(config)# sh nt session status
Last Action Time Stamp     : None
Last Action                : None
Last Action Result         : None
Last Action Failure Reason : none

--------------------

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Best, ~zK

3 Replies 3

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

Can you post the output of "sh ntp peer-status"?

Thanks

Hello,

Here it is:

vdc-1# sh ntp peer-status
INFO: System clock is not controlled by NTP in this VDC
      You can use "clock protocol <protocol> vdc <vdc_id>"
      to change the current setting.

Thanks, ~sK

Admittedly I'm not familiar with VDC, but that at least indicates what the problem may be. Kindly check this discussion as it may provide you with the answer:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/server-networking/ntp-problem-on-nexus-7000/td-p/1783123

There is also a reference to the same in the documentation links you provided:

Virtualization Support

If you are running a Cisco NX-OS Release prior to 5.2, up to one instance of NTP is supported on the entire platform. You must configure NTP in the default virtual device context (VDC), and you are automatically placed in the default VDC unless you specify otherwise.

If you are running Cisco NX-OS Release 5.2 or later, multiple instances of NTP are supported, one instance per VDC. By default, Cisco NX-OS places you in the default VDC unless you specifically configure another VDC. Only one VDC (the default VDC by default) synchronizes the system clock at any given time. The NTP daemon in all other VDCs acts only as an NTP server for the other devices. To change which VDC synchronizes the system clock, use the clock protocol ntp vdc vdc-id command.

Hope this helps