Views
Helpful
Replies

Peer-to-Peer Killing Network

dschuckman
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon.

Hello, I work for a small ISP in the mid-west. We provide multiple types of internet service from Dial-up to High-speed DSL, WIreless(900MHz and 5.8GHz) Basically I am expieriencing a mind-boggling issue. On my wireless networks I am getting killed by Bit-Torrent, WINMX, Gnutella, etc. My routers and switches are not being impacted at all. Obviously they can handle a heck of a lot more traffic than the WIreless Equipment. What I am trying to determine is should I use Cisco's QOS and try to control this or would I be better off using a Hardware base solution. Anyone who has any expierience with QOS HELP!!!. With QOS am I going to be limited to the network layer of shapping. Or can I take QOS to the application layer? These Peer-To-Peer programs have become so intelligent that my previous manners of dealing with file sharing have been determined to be helpless. Access-lists and rate-limiting ports just don't cut it. Plus they never really deal with the situation they just dump accessive traffic but don't actually kill the conversation. I need to find a solution that I can shape the Peer-to-peer down, Give VOIP applications and software of that nature priority. I just want to know is QOS the way to go or would another solution be better?

1 Reply 1

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

This is where you have to use NBAR.; Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR) ensures that network bandwidth is used efficiently by leveraging QoS features to provide bandwidth guarantees and limits, traffic shaping, and packet marking. This classification engine recognizes a wide variety of applications, including protocols that use dynamic transmission control protocol/user datagram protocol (TCP/UDP) port assignments. NBAR recognition and classification of an application enables the network to invoke services for that application

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a0080087cd0.html#wp1084884