Views
Helpful
Replies

PI 2.1 to 2.2 "upgrade" backup question

Darren Cooper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am upgrading our PI2.1 servers to 2.2. I have a pair of UCS each running Prime 2.1 in HA mode. I intend to build the new Prime 2.2 on the same UCS servers, migrate data then remove the 2.1 instances.

For the data backup, can I create the backup repository on the same UCS or does it have to be to a different server? I am a network guy, not a vmWare expert so please don't laugh if its a stupid question!

Thanks,
Darren 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It would be accessible if either host had an ftp or tftp server but they don't. Also, you would normally be shutting down the old server since the new one will be configured with the same IP address (although it doesn't have to) since you want it to be the snmp trap server and syslog logging host for all your devices.

So just copy the backup off to your laptop or another host running such a server and then move it onto the new host after you've done the basic setup to make it reachable on net.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can backup to the local VM but you need to move it off of that datastore location at some point.

The new PI 2.2 VMs will have their own datastore files (vmdk or Virtual Machine DisK and some other miscellaneous ones. A vmdk is basically a snapshot of the disk image that comprises the guest host machine.)

You will need to copy the file from the old PI 2.1 backup into the new PI 2.2 server as part of the restore process when migrating the data.

Thanks you Marvin,

When I backup to the default repository from PI 2.1, I presume this is accessible from the different VM (PI 2.2) within the (same) UCS server? And I then copy this to the new 2.2 VM? Or do the different VMs have their own disk storage that is not accessible from the other VM?

Thanks,
Darren

It would be accessible if either host had an ftp or tftp server but they don't. Also, you would normally be shutting down the old server since the new one will be configured with the same IP address (although it doesn't have to) since you want it to be the snmp trap server and syslog logging host for all your devices.

So just copy the backup off to your laptop or another host running such a server and then move it onto the new host after you've done the basic setup to make it reachable on net.

Thank you :-)

You're welcome.

Please mark your question as answered if it has been. It makes the forum a better resource and I appreciate it.

Thank you Marvin, I successfully backed up my PI 2.1, built a new PI 2.2 and imported my backup data successfully.
Thanks again.

Darren

Hello . i also upgrade the PI2.1 to 2.2 using backup and restore. every thing was OK until i find out that i can not take backup the PI 2.2 . When i try to take backup the PI 2.2 i am taking the following error :

NCSELVINF/mpapa# backup PRIMETESTBACKUP repository PRIMEINFRAST.BACKUP application NCS

DO NOT press ^C while the backup is in progress
Aborting backup with a ^C may terminate the backup operation or the backup file may be corrupted

Backup Started at : 01/28/15 17:25:32
DB size is 99 GB
Available size is 53 GB
you might run out of disk space in repository, Do you want to proceed with backup
do you want to proceed [y/n]?
y
proceeding with backup
ERROR : Cannot proceed with backup as the free space available in oracle fast recovery area (54634 MB) is less than the current database size(60825 MB).
% Internal error: couldn't create backup file

How c an i increase the oracle fast recovery area from PI 2.2 ?

Answered in new thread here.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card