Views
Helpful
Replies

PI 3.1 tokens per Nexus 7k device or VDC

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Board,

I'm a little bit confused regarding Nexus 7k token based licensing in PI 3.1 (Patch 3).

Here's the point:

Each VDC of a Nexus 7k device is a device in the CPI device database. So in case I have one Nexus 7k chassis with a default admin VDC and a VDC with all interfaces, there are two devices in the CPI database.

So what is correct?

1.) The tokens in traditional licensing are consumed PER VDC? (so in the case above 2 VDC x 14 token = 28 tokens)

2.) The tokens in traditional licensing are consumed PER CHASSIS? (so in the case above 1 N7k x 14 token = 14 tokens)

Right now it seems that the first point applies and that these tokens are consumed per VDC (which is totally crappy).

What's true if using the device based licensing model (L-MGMT3X-N7K-K9=)? Do you need one SKU per chassis or VDC?

Especialy with Cisco ONE it's interesting, because CPI licenses come with a Nexus Cisco ONE ordering. How many licenses to they add? ONE (sorry - word play) :)

1 Reply 1

m.hegeraat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Johannes,

Did you ever get an answer to this?

It would seem logical to me that if the admin VDC is monitored in PI, that PI can work out that the other VDC's are in fact the same device.

However if the admin VDC is not monitored it cannot know the other VDC's are the same device, hence the separation works well.

Michel