cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please and Thank you! - QoS/CoS deployment - What is the Optimal QoS/CoS deployment solution when considering Voice, Video, and Data?

1brbryant1
Level 1
Level 1

Please and Thank you!

Specifically:

- Local Access Switch:

- Global Configuration

- Interface Configuration (Access/Voice/Trunk)

- Local Layer 3 Core Switch:

- Global Configuration 

- Interface Configuration (Trunk/Router Access)

Local WAN Router:

- Global Configuration (Class maps, Policy Maps, Access-Lists)

- Interface Configuration (Local Layer 3 Core Switch and Neighboring Gi0/0/0 WAN Routers)

Neighbor WAN Router:

- Global Configuration (Class maps, Policy Maps, Access-Lists)

- Interface Configuration (facing Local WAN Router)

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sounds a lot like a homework assignment.

If that's so, then the best approach is to study the material and write down your own understanding.

Not homework, thanks.

Looking for the best solution to mark the traffic Access Switch side, so I can apply the marked traffic to my class and policy maps (outbound traffic).  

If either of you (Leo Laohoo/Marvin Rhoads) want to expand on that topic it would be great.  

Thanks!

The topic is pretty well covered here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book.html

and here:

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/end-to-end-qos-network-design-quality-of-service-for-9781587143694

Appreciate the links.  

I've been reading through the first one (for a couple of weeks) and understand the theory (pretty well).

I'm looking for the help with identifying/marking in a production network.  The first article goes into a lot of theory, but doesn't really go into configuration.  I've read other articles on configurations.  I'm having a little trouble with putting all the pieces together:

- http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-packet-marking/10103-dscpvalues.html

- http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_book/qos_m2.html

Looking for a brief example on identifying and marking traffic and what the "current" 'Best Practice' is.  I understand I can create an access-list with (subnet/port/etc.), but I read that it is better to apply a configuration port side, allowing access devices to do most of the gear work, so Routers don't need to do a lot of processing to mark/move packets.

I know CoS is layer 2 and QoS is Layer 3.  Some people say apply CoS to your Access Ports, mapping them to QoS.  Some people say I should apply different flavors of QoS to the Access ports which allow traffic to be identified and tagged.

With each configuration, do I need to apply it to the trunk ports?

Is there something special I need to apply to the Global Config?

I understand it's in the articles out there, but I've been spending a lot of time on this and I was really hoping an 'old pro' or a 'super-tech' was going to step up out of the shadows and say...

"Sure, do XYZ to your VoIP switch ports, apply this Global config, don't sweat the trunks which IMO is the best way to identify EF/AF traffic, mark it, so that when it travels to your Layer 3 switch (btw needs to have this global config applied), and on through your gateway (and if your class maps/policy maps are configured properly), will traverse your network perfectly (or as close to perfect that it can).

Cheers! "

- Super Awesome Tech Guy

^^^

Something like that

Do you have the super-tech skills to help me bring the room together Marvin/Leo?

Please :D 

Describe your network (LAN and WAN).  I want to know what kind of uplink speed your access switches have to the core/distro layer. 

QoS is an optional configuration.  If you get the QoS settings wrong, it won't work.  I manage two large networks.  One network doesn't have QoS in it and the other one has.  Guess which one has a lot of Total Output Drops?

Please excuse the delay (OOO) and thank you for your response.

1GB links from access(L2) to core(L3)

1GB link from core(L3) to R1(local)

1GB link from R1(local) to R2(neighbor/WAN network)

R2 -- R1 - L3 - L2

My issue is the marking of egress packets from/through the access(L2) tier:

- From my understanding Cisco phones mark VoIP packets with an EF?  

- I'm looking for the best solution for marking egress packets for the following:

- VoIP

- Video

- Data Applications

- Control Plane

- Scavenger Class

Thank you!

1 Gbps link all around and someone wants to enable QoS?  Seriously?

Look, in our network we have disabled QoS.  We don't see any issues or any Total Output Drops in our access and uplink ports.  

We have another network where QoS is enabled (but with the wrong configuration) and it is atrocious.  

Understood.

I'm going to do some additional research and consolidate, then open a TAC. 

I'll add an update when I figure it out.

Thanks again.

Unless someone else thinks they have the best answer for the following question...

*(QoS/CoS) What is the most Current, 'Best Practice' for 'identifying' and 'marking' egress traffic (Video, Data) from/through an access layer 2 switch?*

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can answer all this for two (2) Bitcoins.  

The last person I gave this to got an A++ from his professor.