Views
Helpful
Replies

POE not working properly on 3rd party VoIP phones

AKRobert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have hundreds of switches all running the same base config and we have hundreds of Nortel VoIP phones 1120E model phones. Other than having to use LLDP we didn't have any problems until around January. When we would introduce a new phone we would see the following on the Cisco 3850 switches

Jun 19 10:10:05 AKST: %ILPOWER-5-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/1: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
Jun 19 10:10:28 AKST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jun 19 10:10:29 AKST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jun 19 10:10:37 AKST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to down
Jun 19 10:10:38 AKST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to down
Jun 19 10:11:22 AKST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jun 19 10:11:23 AKST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jun 19 10:11:35 AKST: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi1/0/1: PD removed
Jun 19 10:11:35 AKST: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/1: Power given, but State Machine Power Good wait timer timed out
Jun 19 10:11:45 AKST: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi1/0/1: PD removed

The phone would come up, the display lights up and it stays up for between 2 second and 10 seconds and then drops again but never comes up in a stable fashion. 

If I reboot the switch the problem is gone. if I plug 2 new phones in they will fail to come up properly but once the switch reboots they come up fine and stay up. 

I tried this on a 3560 8 and 12 port and the problem did not exist. It only seems to happen on some of the 3850s. The one in my building I can boot phones off it all day without an issue. I have compared the configs and don't see a difference that would cause this. I have compared the port settings and they are identical. 

The only commonality I have found is that if it works on 1 port it will work on all ports, if it doesnt work on 1 port it wont work on any port.

Model

WS-C3850-48P

iOS Version

BUNDLE mode install

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try using this command

power inline port 2x-mode

If this works, then this could CSCvb13553.

I tried that. It did make the phone light up but it didn't stay up and dropped with the same errors. I also tried changing the priority from low to high, tried using efficient ethernet setting but since it's a nortel phone it didn't work.

Post the complete output to the command "sh interface Gi 1/0/1 controll".

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Probably a bug

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCva71899/?rfs=iqvred

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '