cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

poe881 Router and Cisco Inline Power (pre-standard PoE)

Tom Rymes
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of 881 Routers and 79x0 IP Phones. These phones use "Cisco Inline Power", aka "pre-standard PoE". In other words, they are not compatible with standard 802.3af PoE.

It would be possible for me to install a daughtercard and DC adapter in the 881 routers and provide PoE to two of the ethernet ports. My question is whether the 881 (when equipped for PoE) will support Cisco Inline Power, or if it will only support 802.3af.

For reference, the 200 and 300 series Small Business switches support these phones with a software upgrade. See this link: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/71841/200-and-300-switches-now-supports-cisco-pre-standard-poe-legacy-poe

Many thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

They are backward compatible and can power up 7940/7960 phones.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question is whether the 881 (when equipped for PoE) will support Cisco Inline Power, or if it will only support 802.3af.

Hi Tom,

I don't have an 880 but I have a large fleet of 890 and all of them have PoE and I know these 890 support 802.3af easily.

Thanks, Leo, but 802.3af is of no use to me. I need pre-standard PoE, aka Cisco Inline Power.

Tom

They are backward compatible and can power up 7940/7960 phones.