Views
Helpful
Replies

Polling issue

wim_depauw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently one of our customers has split up their company into 2 separate companies . We configured their devices with different ACL so the Ciscoworks of company X can't poll a device belonging to company Y .

So far so good but on 1 device we get continously hits on the SNMP ACL that the wrong CW2K is polling him.

I checked the ANI/RME/DFM database but I can't find the device back.

The hit on the ACL is every 5 sec and does it 2 times .

Does anybody have an idea in which database the machine is located ?

3 Replies 3

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

Ciscoworks discovers devices through CDP, so if CDP is enabled between company x & company y, you may need to disable it. Additionally, ensure company y's devices are not listed as seed devices in company x's Ciscoworks server.

One last thing to try would be put an ACL out bound from the company x device to silently drop packets from company x's Ciscoworks server.

HTH

Steve

Hi,

actually it is 1 specific device that's being polled , all his neighbors and upstream routers are not discovered .So a wrong seed device can't be the cause.

The other solution sounds attractive but I would like to discover why Cw2k polls the machine if it isn't ( visually) in his database .

gr

wim

Just an idea:

As of 5 sec intervalls I would suggest it comes from DFM. Check the inventory if there is left an interface of that device for monitoring.

Try the following to get a list of DFMs inventory:

to get the SNMP-agents:

C:\>c:\Programme\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\bin\sm_tpmgr.exe -s DFM --dump-agents >c:\dfm-invent.txt

or to get a more detailed list of DFMs topology database:

C:\>c:\Programme\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\bin\sm_topodump.exe --server=DFM > c:\topodump.txt

Then you can check the files dfm-invent.txt or topodump.txt if the device or one of its interfaces is still in the db and you know what you have to remove

HTH,

Martin