Views
Helpful
Replies

Port forwarding to 2 different Web Servers

George-Sl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

so in a scenario like this that I have two Web Servers and I want to configure PAT for these two webservers
how should I do that?
1) First of all should I have a Public DNS server? what is the best practice?
one way I can think of is to change dns A records of my domain(I don't even know if it's possible(in cpanel) to translate a name to IP:PORT pair) to point to port 81(81.1.1.30:81) for MS2.com and port 80 for MS1.com((81.1.1.30:80)
and then PAT it near the edge router to appropriate local server, I forgot to put the router btw(take that MLS as a router)

2) are there any performance differences between translating 100 servers from your internal network to the outside internet by one IP address(ports) or by 100 different IP addresses?

3) what if we have 100 Web Servers and 100 different domains, how these host companies managing their NAT/DNS configuration automatically?

what is the scaleable solution?

This is irrelevant to this topic but why a layer 3 switch doesn't have NAT-ing ability?(even my 4506 switch doesn't have NAT-ing)

topo.png

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do static NAT and you can do with DNS loadbalance mechanism, its not great but its ok.

Always suggest to Loadbalancer these kind of setup so LB can monitor all the time, Since DNS not aware if the service down, so it has blackhole, removing the web service from network path.

Switch is Switch - and as per i know only higher end switches like 6500 or latest model have NAT capabilities.

for your requirement you need NAT capable device.

you can do as many as NAT as long CPU/Memory  have head room to process.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card