Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 4.2 Telnet/ SSH Connections to Switches

Bjoern Brunner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with LMS 4.2 and use Telnet/ SSH tool to open network devices.

If I start the tool telnet/ssh, always starts a telnet session and no ssh session.

But telnet is disabled on all devices in my network. Can I change something to open automatically a ssh session with putty?

regards Bjoern

2 Replies 2

luijimen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bjoern,

I am assuming you refer to the Device Center > Tools > Telnet/SSH option.

The problem is not on LMS actually. What happens is that in the background, a telnet:// is being called.

What will happen is that your system will launch whatever application has been assigned to the telnet protocol, typically the Windows CMD, which will open a telnet session automatically.

In order to change this to use Putty for example, which would allow you to change to SSH connectivity (manually though) you can do the following:

1) BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY.

Go to Start > Run > Regedit > File > Export.

2) Locate the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > Telnet > shell > Open > command > (default)

3) Modify the key value to point to the location of your "putty.exe" file (make sure to include the double quotes).

Default value:

"C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Windows\System32\url.dll",TelnetProtocolHandler %l

New value (will open putty automatically to the selected IP):

"D:\Tools\putty.exe" %l

New value (will open putty normally, you will need to type the IP but can change the connection protocol/port if desired):

"D:\Tools\putty.exe"

This should make your system open Putty for any "telnet://" links, including the Telnet/SSH link in the Tools section of Device Center.

Best regards,

Luis

Message was edited by: Luis Jimenez

Message was edited by: Luis Jimenez

Hi Luis,

thanks for your quick reply. Know putty starts automatically but Cisco LMS delivers the telnet protocol not the ssh command. So, putty opened and closed.

Best regards

Bjoern