cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime account for port reset

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

Has anyone created a user account in Prime (3.4) for the sole purpose of entering a MAC address of a connected device and power-cycling (shut/no shut) the switch port that device is connected to?

We get requests on a daily basis from the Facilities department with a list of several MAC addresses of security cameras that have stopped communicating with the server and need to be power cycled to restore functionality.

I created a test account in the "Help Desk" group, and there's a nice simple interface where the user can enter a MAC, and Prime tells the user what switch name/IP/port the device is in. I just want to take it a step further and add a button to shutdown, then no shutdown, the port. We don't want the user to have the ability to do anything else but that.

1 Reply 1

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

After further experimentation, I set up one of the "User Defined" groups with the following options checked:

• Under Network Configuration
    • Device View configuration Access
    • Network Devices
    • Monitor Clients

The user can enter the MAC in the Application Search bar, make note of which port the device is plugged in, click on link to the switch, go to Configuration > SwitchPort, find the port the device is in, then disable and enable the port.

Problem is, the user can also mistakenly change VLANs, disable an uplink, change the IP on a VLAN interface, etc. And it's not as simple as we were hoping.

Any other ideas would be appreciated!