cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 3.0 SNMP 3rd party devices?

bob1980
Level 1
Level 1

Does prime 3.0 actually work for 3rd party devices like Juniper / F5 / PA / etc

Is it good?

Does it support snmp traps from 3rd party?

Prior version were very limited of what it can do.

Dash

1 Reply 1

Randall Nieland
Level 1
Level 1

I have found 3rd party device support to be quite limited. Even uploading the 3rd party MIBs is seemingly broken. I've tried many times, opened a TAC case that went nowhere, so I just gave up on the guy and closed it, then moved on to other projects that are worth my time.

Between this and STILL no sort of maintenance mode for devices, Cisco Prime Infrastructure is not going to be a primary system. We still run LMS 4.2.5 because it works. There are things in PI that I like, and the user interface is shaping up to be decent, but very basic functionality is apparently abandoned.

More focus is on wireless than wired, it seems. I get that wireless is important and there's a need for management tools, but the real productivity still lies in the vast majority of devices that are wired and they need to be properly monitored via SNMP, whether they are Cisco or other, and we do need to do maintenance and would rather not have the system alerting during those times. Very simple request that should have been there from the first version of PI. If anyone out there has found such a function, by all means, please point it out!

Maybe someday the BU will actually listen.

Randy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card