Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure or StealthWatch

i have solarwinds in my network to monitor traffic for each user and how much consumed bandwidth internally for each user , so i want to install another program instead of it to be cisco as all my network is cisco so i know there are two programs (Prime Infrastructure & StealthWatch) 

i want to know if they are doing the same functions of Solarwinds or not 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes Stealthwatch will identity traffic flows and how much bandwidth is being used by IP addresses, but I believe you'd need to integrate with ISE in order to identity the users. Without that integration you'd only see IP addresses not users.

The users would need to authenticate to the network with ISE as the radius server, the user to IP address mappings would be sent to Stealthwatch to tie all the information together.

The good thing about the Stealthwatch and ISE integration is that if any suspicious activity is identified in Stealthwatch, it can send a CoA (change of authorisation) to ISE which would then quarantine the user/computer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Prime Infrastructure doesn't really manage bandwidth it manages network devices not users , but its very good can run reporting on it for a lot of services and devices , eol reports on devices , its got compliance and template config pushes etc

I don't use stealth watch so I cant comment on it but PI is for managing network devices not users

If you check the admin guide below it shows hat exactly it can do , im sure theres one there for stealthwatch online too  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-0/administrator/guide/PIAdminBook.html

Yes Stealthwatch will identity traffic flows and how much bandwidth is being used by IP addresses, but I believe you'd need to integrate with ISE in order to identity the users. Without that integration you'd only see IP addresses not users.

The users would need to authenticate to the network with ISE as the radius server, the user to IP address mappings would be sent to Stealthwatch to tie all the information together.

The good thing about the Stealthwatch and ISE integration is that if any suspicious activity is identified in Stealthwatch, it can send a CoA (change of authorisation) to ISE which would then quarantine the user/computer.

thanks for that , i am searching for stealthwatch software as ova or ovf file to for trial in the network , is that available ?

I think you'd have to go through a partner to request the trial software as the files are not available on software.cisco.com.

You'd need at least 2 VMs - Stealthwatch Management Console and Flow Collector.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stealthwatch is primarily a security product and you will see that is all its features and functions. Likewise Prime Infrastructure is a general purpose network management product.

If your goal is visualization of network usage and user behavior, I would say that neither is a great fit. Cisco has historically (and continues to) relied on third parties for this sort of thing. The SolarWinds product is a good one as are several others - ManageEngine, Scrutinizer etc.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card