Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS priority command - Can we go over the specified bandwidth

mirkobrodersen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

i have question when it comes to the LLQ.

I thought that with the "priority bandwidth-in-kbps" command I basically say that the specified bandwidth is the maximum bandwidth which is available during times of congestion.

Now i've heard, that we could go over the maximum bandwidth, but then the traffic isn't considered prioritized anymore.

Can someone ellaborate on this and explain to me why or why not that is the case?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Mirko

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It simply depends whether packets have been queued in the LLQ or not.  If priority class packets are not queued they cannot be dequeued (first) nor subject to the implicit policer.

Well my assumption is that they exceed the bandwidth in the LLQ. And I heard somewhere that it can use more if more bandwidth is available, however what "exceeds" is not prioritized. I just want to know if that is the case or not.

Your OP question, and follow-up reply question, were answered in my prior reply, but as I explained it, likely it was unclear, correct?

Reread my prior reply, and ask for further explanation on whatever is unclear.

BTW, do you understand the difference between LLQ class packets and LLQ queued packets?

LLQ class packets should be packets which are identified as priority packets speaking about that we're not congested and LLQ queued packets should be prioritized packets in the output queue during times of congestion.

From another post I assume that during times of congestion there is no more bandwidth available, however during times where the interface isn't congested, it should be the case that other bandwidth is available, but then if we use more bandwidth because its available, its not prioritized anymore.

"LLQ class packets should be packets which are identified as priority packets speaking about that we're not congested . . ."

No.  LLQ class packets are those that match the class attributes.  Congestion isn't relevant.

". . . LLQ queued packets should be prioritized packets in the output queue during times of congestion."

LLQ queued packets might not be prioritized (consider if all your traffic is LLQ class), but, agreed, they will be queued, during times of congestion, although much depends on what you understand "congestion" to mean.

I consider "congestion" anytime a packet arrives at an egress interface and it cannot be immediately transmitted, i.e. it needs to be queued.  This, BTW, doesn't correspond with typical measures of "congested" interfaces/link, i.e. some percentage of usage above zero to 100%.  For example, you might have very bad congestion with an interface/link showing even 1% utilization or conversely no congestion, at all, while interface/link utilization showing at 100%.

Example of the forging.  Gig ingress to FE egress, sends just 10 packets, back-to-back, in some multi-minutes time frame.  When the first packet arrives, it's immediately transmitted, but the next 9 packets, in the series, may (why "may", because packets can be variable sized) need to be queued.  If all are queued, then later transmitted, your interface/link usage percentage might be very low (again assuming only 10 packets are sent during some multi-minute time interval).  However, if the egress queue could only contain 1 packets, 8 of the 10 packets would be dropped.  Interface/link usage, though, would show an even lower utilization percentage!

Or, consider, FE ingress, FE egress, and ingress is providing back-to-back packets, continuously.  Interface/link utilization would show at 100%, but there would be zero queuing at egress interface. (Also, zero drops!)

So, "congestion", I believe, strictly depends on whether there's a need to queue packets.

To your question.  Packets that match the LLQ class attributes, are always LLQ class packets.

LLQ class packets, will only need to be queued, if they cannot be immediately transmitted.

If LLQ class packets are queued, they will be dequeued ahead of any other class queues.

As LLQ class packets are being dequeued, they are checked for their transmission rate.  If in excess if the implicit policer value, LLQ packets will be dropped such that the overall transmission rate is at or below the implicit policer value.

If no traffic is being queued, or just LLQ class traffic isn't being queued, it (LLQ) can consume all available bandwidth.

BTW, if you define an explicit policer, for the LLQ class, it will police LLQ class traffic regardless of whether it's being queued or not.

Does the above help?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card