cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Read crashinfo and crashinf_ext

ksbolton1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I've recently pulled some crashinfo files from a switch that encountered a failure, where all startup and running config was lost. I'd like to know what the procedure is for analyzing the crashinfo files and hopefully find the source of error.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So crash files are only for TAC , that's why there are no released documents specifying how to read them , they have their own systems that are able to analyse the code that's provided in them

saying that if you open them up sometimes I have found the fault in them but there difficult to read  , but most of the traceback outputs are not public so its very difficult to find the reason for them without TAC , you could run your show tech through the cli analyser and see if it pulls a bug for you but even tat I don't think can read a crash file and that's the most powerful tool available to public

Information to Collect if You Open a TAC Service Request

If you still need assistance after following the troubleshooting steps above, and want to open a service request with the Cisco TAC, be sure to include the following information for troubleshooting a router crash:
  • Troubleshooting performed before opening the service request.
  • show technical-support output (if possible, in enable mode).
  • show log output or console captures, if available.
  • crashinfo file (if present, and not already included in the show technical-support output).
  • show region output (if not already included in the show technical-support output).
Please attach the collected data to your service request in non-zipped, plain text format (.txt). You can attach information to your service request by uploading it using the TAC Service Request tool (registered customers only) . If you cannot access the Service Request tool, you can attach the relevant information to your service request by sending it to attach@cisco.com with your case number in the subject line of your message.

Note: Please do not manually reload or power-cycle the router before collecting the above information unless required to troubleshoot a router crash, as this can cause important information to be lost that is needed for determining the root cause of the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So crash files are only for TAC , that's why there are no released documents specifying how to read them , they have their own systems that are able to analyse the code that's provided in them

saying that if you open them up sometimes I have found the fault in them but there difficult to read  , but most of the traceback outputs are not public so its very difficult to find the reason for them without TAC , you could run your show tech through the cli analyser and see if it pulls a bug for you but even tat I don't think can read a crash file and that's the most powerful tool available to public

Information to Collect if You Open a TAC Service Request

If you still need assistance after following the troubleshooting steps above, and want to open a service request with the Cisco TAC, be sure to include the following information for troubleshooting a router crash:
  • Troubleshooting performed before opening the service request.
  • show technical-support output (if possible, in enable mode).
  • show log output or console captures, if available.
  • crashinfo file (if present, and not already included in the show technical-support output).
  • show region output (if not already included in the show technical-support output).
Please attach the collected data to your service request in non-zipped, plain text format (.txt). You can attach information to your service request by uploading it using the TAC Service Request tool (registered customers only) . If you cannot access the Service Request tool, you can attach the relevant information to your service request by sending it to attach@cisco.com with your case number in the subject line of your message.

Note: Please do not manually reload or power-cycle the router before collecting the above information unless required to troubleshoot a router crash, as this can cause important information to be lost that is needed for determining the root cause of the problem.

I see, thank you for this information. It explains a lot.