cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote access from Outside Network

Cdaniel.rios
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone! I have a question with an exercise I am doing as a practice, and i really appreciate your help. 
I have configured all the equipment and there is a satisfactory connection between the ones I have selected.
From PC Control (above) I can establish connection via Telnet to R1 and R2, and SSH to R3, The problem I have is that I want to connect via Telnet to the switches (S1, S2 and S3) but I can not do it.
I´m using Packet Tracer 7.3.1

I share the file with you so that you can explore it and if you are so kind to help me out of this doubt.

Imagen1.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cdaniel.rios
Level 1
Level 1

The final solution that i found was to map the R3 Private IP (172.16.3.130) to the Public i get from the ISP (209.165.200.2) port 22

ip nat inside source static tcp 172.16.3.130 22 209.165.200.2 22

I Configured Different ACLs to only allow telnet to S1, S2, S3, R1 and R2 from R3. 

For a practice it is good for me! 

Now i can SSH it from PC Control and once the connection is established i go to other devices in the Internal network and manage them.

Thanks for your help anyway!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Pings are Ok but a bit on slow side but I think your NAT is blocking telnet;  I will check but you may need to add static nat statement allowing telnet to translate , aka go thru nat.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Yes, it's exactly that, when i apply PAT it blocks the Telnet.... How should i do then if i want to use PAT.?

i tried a bit but could not do it; this may be PT bug since it shows 192.168.10.101 translations on R2 but it should not. you may try to look at this on GNS3, if I have time, i will check it out as well

I appreciate your help! I have been trying in so many different ways and had no success!! 

Could you please tell me what command you used to test it? To compare with mine.!

show ip nat translation - do that after PC tries to telnet ; then, check when pc do pings.

Ok, I know the way to see the translations, what i mean is, how you
configured the NAT. Is possible that a bug like that exist on Packet Tracer
or i misconfigured something else?

i think it PT bug or limitation but give me 24 hrs to check this on gns3;

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help!!

I got the solution. I mapped one Public IP to each device I wanted to
configure, and with PAT it works well, it's not a Packet Tracer Bug then.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Static NAT mapping 1 to 1 always works; I was looking into NVI NAT as solution but my 7200s routers do not support NVI.

So, while looking for different IOS, I came across "extended" or "extendable" option in NAT. 

Static NaT in PT should work as I was told.  Anyway, glad you got it working!

Cdaniel.rios
Level 1
Level 1

The final solution that i found was to map the R3 Private IP (172.16.3.130) to the Public i get from the ISP (209.165.200.2) port 22

ip nat inside source static tcp 172.16.3.130 22 209.165.200.2 22

I Configured Different ACLs to only allow telnet to S1, S2, S3, R1 and R2 from R3. 

For a practice it is good for me! 

Now i can SSH it from PC Control and once the connection is established i go to other devices in the Internal network and manage them.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card