cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Command Tool for Cisco Routers/Switches

da.newman
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone aware of any tools or scripts out there which allow preconfigured commands to be remotely run again Cisco Router/Switches and display the output result?

I'm looking for a tool which I can give our Service Desk personnel that will allow them to select from a list of commands enter a target IP Address of a router/switch and then the tool will display the vlan table or the running config of a particular switch-port so they can see if its configured on the correct data vlan or its missing its voice vlan etc.

For example a Service Desk Operator needs to check what vlan a switch-port is on. So they open the tool, enter the switches IP address and the port number and select an option like "display a switch-ports vlan" and the tool will login into the switch in the background run a show command on the switch and then output the result.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

I think Cisco LMS has such information out of the box, but not like you wrote via script you can right now execute to get the result.

But LMS has some port reports where you can see the access vlan for example.

That is accessable via the Device Center in LMS, so you have one homepage with the "tools".

You have also a user tracking to find attached end hosts with MAC or IP addresss and you can see the complete running-config.

As I said, it is not online on the device, it is only data from the internal LMS database which can be update one or more times per day, if it is necessary.

Maybe it is useful for you.

Sven

Thanks Sven Hruza, not quite what I am looking for but still possibly useful, thanks for the suggestion.

Check out rConfig. You will be able to run multiple instances of it i.e. one instance for your standard configuration backups and another for more specific configuration downloads info like show vlan bri commands etc for service desk staff to view.

You could also use the IOS menu function and create menus or role based access on each of your devices for your users.

Regards

Stephen

==========================
http://www.rConfig.com 

A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs!

- Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful