Compliment
Réponses

RME Config Archive with catalyst 6509 catOS

ppoiron
Level 1
Level 1

I have eight 6509 managed with LMS 2.2.

I have the following issue:

The cat6k configs are archived weekly by the Config Retrieval Schedule.

But when a change is done manually or via Netconfig

in the cat6k config, LMS doesn't fetch automatically

the cat6k config to store it on LMS.

With IOS switches (with startup and running configs),

I don't have this problem.

Is it a normal behaviour of cat6k catOS and LMS or not ?

Thanks in advance.

Patrice

6 RÉPONSES 6

mfilser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrice.

LMS - here the configuration archieve from RME - fetch automatically the new config, if the system receives the syslogmessage SYS-5-CONFIG.

Make sure, that the cat6k's are sending this message to the NMS. To do that, you shold have SNMP enabled in the CatOS-Section (e.g. set snmp enable traps ... and so on).

I dont have much experiences with CatOS, but ... if you configure a CatOS-System, all your configuration is active at the moment, you write it. There is no "Config-Mode" on the CatOS. The question is really: Is the Switch sending the Syslog-Message "CONFIG" even every set-command?

I dont think so ... to be really sure, make a debug snmp on the switch, or make a trace with a sniffer-box.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your reply.

I verified that I have configured catOS with set snmp trap enable syslog, set snmp trap enable config commands and LMS as destination for the traps.

LMS receives syslog messages in syslog analysis for that device, but the format is not %SYS-5-CONFIG_I.

I think that catOS is not using the CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB, so catOS is not sending this kind of message.

In the C:\program files\CSCOpx\log\ChangeAudit.log

I can see that LMS is retreiving config at regular

interval (daily) with the SNMP Poller, but in spite of changes, configs are not stored on LMS.

For informations, to detect automatically config changes on catOS, you must configure severity 6 on the catalyst by the command :

set logging server severity 6

Hi Patrice.

Perhaps, it is possible for you to configure an automated action for the Syslog message you receive?

make a perl-script with a command-line to update the configuration database for this device.

For the syntax of this commands refer to the online help.

I will check this too ... but not yet.

Give me a day.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

Create a job to archive config could be a good idea, but I think that RME must do that automatically for cat0S switches.

I changed cat6k config by adding severity 6 logging.

When I've done that, all the cat6k configs were automatically fetched by LMS.

But, unfortunately, it has been working only 1 time.

I think there is a problem with the ChangeConfigDetector process which stops regularly.

When I restart it, it works.

Patrice

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card