Views
Helpful
Replies

Service for recommended software version

Yahya Lababidi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Is there a service or software that would tell me the software version of the network gear I have and the recommended version I should be on?

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

Hi

Cisco has this kind of service but I´d say you need to be a huge corporation to justify such cost to have tools like that.  I used to have this tools on my last job.

Tools that show on which version you are there are many. Actually any NMS can do it for you. But recommend the better version is way more complicated.  Usually people go to cisco.com and check there which is the recommended version.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What kind of network gear?

Switches, routers, WLCs and ASAs.

@Yahya Lababidi wrote:

Switches, routers, WLCs and ASAs.

Please be specific what the models of the platform/appliances are.  No one here has knowledge about your network other than you.   

@Leo Laohoo,

I'm asking in general, not specific to any models.  Is there such a service that can auto compare and provide the recommended software versions of switches, routers, WLCs, and ASAs?

Thanks,

@Yahya Lababidi wrote:

Is there such a service that can auto compare and provide the recommended software versions of switches, routers, WLCs, and ASAs?

There are several vendors who can "crawl" the network and they will extract info like the IOS version.  

The system will then compare the IOS version to known vulnerability and flag it.  

The main important thing to remember is this system is one thing, actioning the alarms and warnings generated is another thing. 

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

The main important thing to remember is this system is one thing, actioning the alarms and warnings generated is another thing. 

Agreed.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
There are several vendors who can "crawl" the network and they will extract info like the IOS version.  

The system will then compare the IOS version to known vulnerability and flag it.  

Do you recommend any software that can do this?