Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a Network with AP as Radius server

andyrauc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 5 access points on a building and no radius server or controller. They are set up as autonomous and each has been configured with WPAv2 mandatory with a set WEP key that is easy for my users to remember.

Now want to use one of the access points as a radius server to see if this will help with the situation I am having whereby when moving from one floor to the other I am totally disconnecting from the network and am having to re-aquire the connection. When I look at the signal strength of the wifi it never drops below three bars but I am still losing connection so am not having seamless roaming.

I have set up one of my less used access points as per the instructions  on this page:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/configuring-autonomous-ap-for-local-radius-authentication/ta-p/3118775

Configuring the AP I go to Local radius sever and set up the Network access server which is itself so its IP address.

Here I set a shared secret. Must this be my SSID password?

Then I need to create a user with yet another password. I used Cisco. 

Next is says go to Server manager and Enter the IP address of the authentication server in the Server field

I had to give it a name so I called it CiscoServer.

This is where things go wrong.

I already have Cypher set to AES CCMP but I guess I need to select WEP Encryption. Can I not leave it as Cypher?

If I select WEP encryption then it is necessary to enter an encryption key in Hex. So now what is the password for my clients?

Regardless of what I do I get the error” Open authentication with EAP and WPA Pre-shared key cannot be set simultaneously with WPA”

Nowhere in any cisco documentation can I find anything relating to what happens after having set up the Radius server. Do I need to set up all my access points with this Hex key and that now becomes my SSID password? When this setup is done my Radius server accesspoint now shows up as a seperate SSID and when I try to access It, it asks for a user name and password. Using the username and password set up above does not work. Again no amount of googling and reading Cisco publications give any indication of what passwords to now use to access the network.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>Now want to use one of the access points as a radius server

Not possible

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

That is contrary to what I read on the Cisco website.
Is there an alternative way to set up a radius server on my network day with a NAS or computer?

Is there anybody who could assist with this situation? i have 6 Access points set up in my house and often even although I am showing connected I cannot get on the internet without first disconnecting and then reconnecting. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: