Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Install VLAN creation.

Hi All,

I have been having a play with Smart Install, and it's working fairly well and I am looking to implement in our production environment. The only thing that I find annoying is that when I have all the vlan config in my smart install configuration file; ie:

vlan 324

name STD_STAFF

!

vlan 125

name STUDENT

!

etc...

After the switch load the config and reboots all the VLAN configuration is gone, and I have VLAN's with names like Vlan324 if there were access ports configured to that VLAN. I'm guessing because config gets copied into startup config, however only when it is put into running config is vlan.dat updated on the switch and upon reboot startup_config must get ignored or superseeded by the config of vlan.dat. Since my VLAN's aren't in there new ones get created as needed, and of course a bunch of vlan's are left operating on the trunk, but disabled as they are not defined in the switch.

Does anyone know of an easy way to fix this, perhaps a command that will force creation of vlan.dat based on the startup config? The only guess I have so far is to try and have a line in the Smart Install config to copy startup-config running-config during smart install and hope that this will create the VLAN's and the needed vlan.dat file. But I'm yet to test this, possibly on Monday.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Though using VTP isn't currently something I am entertaining.

Thanks,

Kevin-John

42 Replies 42

Did'nt manage to find a solution.

Going for VTP for now.

Best

Isaac

Hi Isaac,

This is wierd.  I have NEVER seen a behaviour like that before.  I do demo to some reluctant colleagues.  And after the demo, I just erase the config, delete the VLAN.DAT file, and either power off the appliance or reboot.  And SI works.  No problem.

After you enter the "wr erase" command, you reboot the client switch? 

Did you try rebooting the director?

%SW_VLAN-4-BAD_STARTUP_VLAN_CONFIG_FILE: Failed to configure VLAN from startup-config.

This is the culprit but I've never seen this before.

May I ask you this:  Open your seed file and cut-and-paste the configuration lines to the switch.  Can you replicate the issue?

Funny I'm not seeing the same as Isaac. If I copy my config and paste it in conf t the vlans work. Same if I copy tftp to running-config. Only when I copy tftp to startup-config and reboot do I get the error. So from my experience the SI has nothing to do with it, this is a base level IOS bug.

I haven't managed to spot that line about Failed to configure VLAN... but I haven't had a really close look through the consol during boot yet. Had a busy day today, planning WLC upgrades so no time to spend on this problem today.

It is possible we are experiencing different issues or different results resulting from the same root-cause.

I do remember back in the bad old days of 12.1 or early 12.2 there was a bug like this. You couldn't configure VLAN's in startup-config, they just got ignored/lost. But given that appears to be a premis of Smart Install (works by copying config to startup and rebooting) I would have thought this was since fixed. Maybe some smart cookie had to fix another bug and used a old version of VLAN code as a base or something. Who knows really.

Had a busy day today, planning WLC upgrades so no time to spend on this problem today.

I can help you with wireless too, if you need.

Hello Leolaohoo

Thanks for bearing with me / us.

Did different tests (my seed file is called HXnnnnnn_3560C.txt):

Out-of-box switch:

Copy / paste text to config t - all good

Copy file from tftp to startup  and reload  - all good

SI 

Out-of-the -box switch: no vlans are created - only my management vlan cause it has an SVI

Copy vlan.dat from Director to the client and reload - all good

Is there anything that I should try? Running out of ideas...

@Kevin: I think it has something with SI cause if the switch never comes in contact with the Director I experience no issues - vlans are created and have the correct names (using copy paste or copy from tftp to running-config or startup-config).

Thanks for bearing with me / us.

You kidding?  I should be the one asking the question to you.  So far, I am still of no help.

Funny I'm not seeing the same as Isaac. If I copy my config and paste it in conf t the vlans work. Same if I copy tftp to running-config. Only when I copy tftp to startup-config and reboot do I get the error. So from my experience the SI has nothing to do with it, this is a base level IOS bug.

Hmmmm ... What's the order of your VLANs in your config?  In my "seed" file, my order is the VTP mode, domain and password.  This is followed by my VLANs.

I'm currently at home now, so I don't have copy of my configuration file for you to replicate. I'll attached it tomorrow morning when I get back to the office.

Is there anything that I should try? Running out of ideas...

Isaac, you're appliance is a 3560C and not a CG?  I'll attach a file for you too.

Warning to both of you:  The "seed" file I'm going to attached is completely OUT OF ORDER.  Don't change the order.  Change what is needed, like FastEthernet instead of GigabitEthernet or change the VTP password.

In the meantime, I'm going to sleep on this.  Something doesn't add up. 

Sorry for not being more precise:  - it is CG-TC-S

Thanks once more

Isaac

Sorry for not being more precise:  - it is CG-TC-S

It's ok.  I'll attach a config file for the 3560CG-8P.  So you can change the filename to suit your switch. 

Hi Isaac & Kevin,

Here's a file for you to test.

As I've mentioned earlier, don't re-arrange the order of the command.  Change whatever you need.  Where the macros are, you can substitute this for your interfaces.

This is just for testing purposes.  I just want to determine where the error message is coming from.

Can you also specify what IOS is your Director running on?

Hello Leolaohoo

Director and client  - 15.0(2)SE2

Did this:

Copied your file to my seed file after having changed the vlans

Deleted director DB and reloaded it

Deleted all files in flash on the client and "write erase" nvram and reloaded it

SI process completed and client switch was reloaded with the new Startup: same error

%SW_VLAN-4-BAD_STARTUP_VLAN_CONFIG_FILE

What IOS are you running on your dDirector? (Maybe I could downgrade mine)

Best

Isaac

Hi

Have configured a new director and installed IOS 15.0(2).SE and have the same error after reloading client switch:

SW-VLAN-4-BAD-STARTUP-VLAN-CONFIG-FILE.

Best

Isaac

Isaac,

My director is running 15.0(2)SE2.

Are you pushing the client IOS too? If so, what version?

Wait ... That doesn't make sense.

Can you post the interface config from one of the SI port?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Hello Leolaohoo

Do you mean SI ports on the controller?

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport access vlan 209

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 200-209

Best

Isaac

Dang.

I've never seen that!

My port is only VLAN 1 with STP port fast.

Just for tricks & giggles, configure for access port VLAN 1, does it work?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Hello again

Tested as asked.

.connected TFTP to the Director

.all ports in vlan 1

.changed all the configurations in the director

.sh vstack download

Upgraded Upgraded

. switch reloads as expected

. same error:

%SW_VLAN-4-BAD_STARTUP_VLAN_CONFIG_FILE

Thanks for keep trying to solve this issue

Best

Isaac

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: