cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Software Manager Satellite Monitoring

TheSlyOne
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently installed a couple of Smart Software Manager Satellite VM's.   The offline licence server is a very good idea, but it is severely limited in functionality and monitoring.  As far as I can see it has the following limitations, which I would classify as essential in any enterprise environment.  

1. No Multi site or Multi Server resilience or failover.

2. No ability to log to central syslog .

3. No SNMP Monitoring capability (or any other remote monitoring)

4. No centralised AAA capability.

5. No API for programmatic interaction.

Am I correct in the above list of limitations, or are any of these things possible?

Has anyone managed to get a solution to monitor the system?

3 Replies 3

Arild Amundsen
Level 1
Level 1

TheSlyOne - Agree.

In the Smart Software Central we have the possibility to enable some default email notification, but thats not enough. As a start we need that for the satellite server as well.

As of now, except for below feature, all are integrated with Smart Software Manager On-Prem product. snmp is no longer needed as syslog feature is available. Since HA feature rely on VIP, we cannot make geo location redundancy as routing VIP would be difficult for two different subnets.

1. No Multi site or Multi Server resilience or failover

3. No SNMP Monitoring capability (or any other remote monitoring)

Hi @renjithg

could you please clarify this "snmp is no longer needed as syslog feature is available".

Sending syslog messages was implemented and replaced SNMP monitoring functionality?!

I would expect to support both, as syslog doesn't support querying the host for status data like CPU/disk/memory usage.

The small monitoring dashlet in the admin section is not useful for large companies; SNMP is supported by all external monitoring solutions and common in large companies.

BR,

Michael

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card