Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Authentication Errors

Greg Matthews
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Ciscoworks (LMS 3.2) is gererating SNMP authentication errors for some of our devices (5 out of 838). The typical trap message is as follows:

Authentication Failure - "[1] authAddr.0 (IpAddress): X.X.X.X [2] snmpTrapEnterprise.0 (Object ID): 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.614 "   Where X.X.X.X is the Ciscoworks server.

I have confirmed the device credentials are correct in Ciscoworks. I have deleted and re added the devices to the DCR. I have backed up and restored the RME database. I have reinitialised the RME database and I have deleted the devices out of DFM.

What else can I try?

Thanks,

Ian

3 Replies 3

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Does the timestamp of the authentication errors match with the time of the scheduled discovery?

Discovery may cause these errors when it tries different community strings to talk to your devices.

By limiting the community string used to know IP address ranges amount of errors can be reduced

10.*.*.*
172.[16-18].*.*
2001::1234:5:6:*

For each community string you can set a target IP address range

Cheers,

Michel

Unfortunatly the authentication errors don't match with the time of the scheduled discovery. Discovery runs once a day while we are seeing several dozen to serveral hundred authentication error traps per hour, every hour.

Additionaly I have limited discovery to the one string we use for everything.

If the source address of the authentication errors is ciscoworks then one of the applications could be still using the "old credentails"

Were cedentials changed on these devices?

This could be DFM. You may try to rediscover the 5 devices, or delete from DFM and re-add them . For the delete option you need to stop the auto allocation between DFM and the DCR.

Cheers,

Michel

Message was edited by: Michel Hegeraat