cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Interface information

mcormie
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for interface specific information accessible via SNMP that is not in the ifTable.

MAC addresses connected to a specific interface - similar to what i can obtain with a "show mac-address-table | include GigabitEthernet2/41" command.

VLAN membership of a specific interface - similar to what i can obtain with a "show run interface GigabitEthernet2/41 | include vlan" command

Clear counters for a specific interface - similar to what i can obtain with a "clear counters gigabitEthernet 2/41" command

Thanks,

Matt

5 Replies 5

mcormie
Level 1
Level 1

I have found an object that USED to clear the port counters, but is depreciated.

sysClearPortTime = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.1.13

Wouldnt it be nice if the documentation referenced what a depreciated objects functionality was replaced with.

cwu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt,

Finding MAC addresses connected to a specific interface is not a trivial thing to do with SNMP. It is a multi-step process too involved to describe here. If you still need this I can send you a perl program I've written to do this.

Now I have a question for you: Did you ever get an answer to your 2nd question? (Getting the Vlan membership of a specific interface).

Thanks.

Colin

I did manage to get nearly everything I was looking for after much searching (no thanks to any documentation lol).

The VLAN number is available on the 4500 platforms at 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.68.1.2.2.1.2.$ifIndex.

The VLAN name is available at 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.46.1.3.1.1.4.1.$vlanNumber.

I have managed to get the following info for department admins (in a web interface written in PHP) if you are interested in anything additionally:

Port Index Number (from module/port syntax)

Module Number (from index)

Module Port Number (from index)

Port Connector (GBIC Type)

Admin Status

Operating Status

Promiscuous Mode

Port Speed

Bytes In

Bytes Out

Errors In

Errors Out

Vlan Number

Vlan Name

Wall Port (ties to separate database)

I have the start of a MAC address lookup, but its been a while since I've looked at it so I cant recall how far I got on it. If you have a working program I would love to see it.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt. Thanks for the info.

You can pick up a copy of my program at http://tenfwd.mcmaster.ca/~wucolin/macsnap-giveaway.pl. The section you're interested in is between lines 102 and 171. This program iterates through all my switches in a database and grabs the MAC addresses on each interface.