Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp trap and syslog on Cisco layer 2 switch

IT Learner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, 

Could you kindly help me clarify on snmp trap configuration at Cisco L2 switch? 

May i know L2 switch can configure to receive both snmp trap log and syslog logs on one monitoring server (Whatsup Gold)? 

I am using whatsup gold monitoring server with both snmp trap and syslog server functions. 

For Checkpoint firewall device, I am able to receive both snmp trap and syslog in WUG server.

Currently, i am facing one switch received snmp trap and other switch received syslog with different WUG monitoring severs and now tracing the gap between two switchs.

If L2 switch is able to receive both syslog and snmp trap, could you kindly help for the configuration comments? Thank you.

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...

>If L2 switch is able to receive both syslog and snmp trap, could you kindly help for the configuration comments? 

- This terminology is confusing , the switch can only send  syslog messages to a syslog server and snmp trap messages to  an snmp  trap receiver.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Dear Marce,

Thank you so much for your kind info.

Could you do me a favor for the example comments to configure at L2 switch to send the syslog messages to a syslog server and snmp trap (v3, priv, read) messages to snmp server? Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card