cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[SOLVED] LMS 3.2.1 and CatOS devices

ww9rivers
Level 1
Level 1

My LMS installation is upgraded from 3.2 to 3.2.1 based on TAC's recommendation. Now I have a funny problem: We have a small number of devices running CatOS in the network. Now inventory collection fails with all of them. Looking into that, I found out that the credential checking in the Device Center also fails for the Telnet credential with an "Incorrect" result.

Below is what's logged in the device:

%MGMT-5-LOGIN_FAIL:User  failed to log in from 1xx.2x.1xx.2xx - max attempt reached

Note that there is no user id after the word "User".

I did an export of that device with its credentials, the user id is there.

The same configuration works just fine on an IOS device.

I deleted the CatOS device from the DCR and re-added it. No dice.

I have to say that problem like this seriously hits on my confidence in CiscoWorks. Any pointers and thoughts are appreciated.

Have a nice weekend!

Message was edited by: ww9rivers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Inventory collection has nothing to do with username/password credentials.  It is done entirely with SNMP.  What is the error LMS reports when inventory collection fails?  What version of CatOS are these devices running?  What type of devices are they?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Inventory collection has nothing to do with username/password credentials.  It is done entirely with SNMP.  What is the error LMS reports when inventory collection fails?  What version of CatOS are these devices running?  What type of devices are they?

Joseph, Thanks for the clarification.

As you said, inventory collection is done with SNMP. The credential checking on the device reports SNMP read and write OK. In my previous post, I was stating my observations -- All failed devices are failing the same way -- trying to put 2 and 2 together and see if I can get something out of them.

When inventory fails, LMS just reports "Device Collection Failed." with no more detail.

Is there somewhere a list of log files I can watch to debug this?

I have seen the same problem on 2 devices and below is what "show version" shows on each of them:

WS-C2948    5.5(4b)
WS-C4506    7.6(10)

I can try the rest of the devices having the same problem if that helps.

Thanks and regards,

--

Wei Wang

Post the IC_Server.log.

And of course, there is the other question: Why does the device show an empty user name when the LMS does its credential checking?

Joseph,

You are right that the two issues are unrelated. It seems  that my SNMP timeout value is set too small for the devices that failed  inventory collection.

I am still getting credential checking errors with some of the devices. But I guess that's a different problem.

Thanks!

--

Wei Wang