Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN and RSPAN on same destination?

TobiW.94
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an physical analyzer-device which collects the mirrored datatraffic in my network and analyzes it.

The analyzer is connected to my coreswitch from which i want to read the data traffic via SPAN.

But I also want to send the data traffic of my access switches via the core switch to the appliance using RSPAN.

It seems, that the destination interface from SPAN and RSPAN cannot be the same.

My analyzer is connected with just one cable to read the mirrored traffic.

Is there any way to configure the SPAN / RSPAN to read both the "local" traffic from the core switch and the traffic from the connected access switches?

Thank you very much!

TobiW.94

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/combining-span-and-rspan/td-p/2329000

>...

The general principle with RSPAN is that you do not attach any devices you want to monitor to the device of the destination port. You can only use SPAN for this. You cannot mix both as you can only use one destination port per session. 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: