cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN Config

ajay.trivedi
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2940 series CISCO switches connected with each other to increase numbers of ports.  (No trunking is used. Just a simple Ethernet cable uplink connection ) . Each switch has 24 ports, The combined ports will be 48.  How do I configure SPAN to a single destination port  to monitor all 48 ports of these two switches? RSAPN is not an option as CISCO 2940 does not support RSPAN.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

as far as I recall the 2940 does not support RSPAN. I would say your only option is to include the port that is linked to the other switch as a source port. You will not be able to monitor each individual port on the uplinked switch, but rather only the traffic that flows through that uplinked port.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2 Switches are configured in Layer 2, you can do span, here I guess.

if that is not worked, what was tried, what is IOS code running, what config was put in place post the information.

Again this suggestion based on the topology you mentioned:

more information can be found here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/10570-41.html

Another option if the sniffer has 2 interfaces you can configure both local and span the traffic to the sniffer.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

as far as I recall the 2940 does not support RSPAN. I would say your only option is to include the port that is linked to the other switch as a source port. You will not be able to monitor each individual port on the uplinked switch, but rather only the traffic that flows through that uplinked port.

Many thanks. Looks like that I will need to do local SPAN on each of switches .

This call is now closed.