Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH with a line password

moto.kne
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, all!

When I tried to login by ssh, I was able to use ANY username and logged in to the router successfully with the sample configuration below. (I used password "test")

!
aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default line
!
no ip domain lookup
ip domain name test.local
!
interface Ethernet0/0
 ip address 172.30.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
ip ssh version 2
line vty 0 4
 password test
 transport input ssh
!

I thought that I couldn't login because I configured ssh with only line password.

Ssh requires username and password for authentication. ( line password only is not allowed )

So I am not sure why I can use any username and login.

Is the behavior I experienced correct ? I cannot find any resources about this so I post this discussion.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Because your sample IOS configuration is incomplete ; add the following to the vty parameters : login local; you can then configure a local account in the global IOS configuration as in : username xxxx password xxxx

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Because your sample IOS configuration is incomplete ; add the following to the vty parameters : login local; you can then configure a local account in the global IOS configuration as in : username xxxx password xxxx

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi, marce1000.

Thank you for your reply! I agree with you.

I should have used a local login authentication for SSH.

My configuration was not enough.