Helpful
Replies

Subnet Division

Kieran Wang
Level 1
Level 1

Figure 1 typically be used in the actual project

Figure 1Figure 1

How about a subnet division like Figure 2, is it correct?

Figure 2Figure 2

Even as Figure 3 (is it correct? if yes, any issues on it? I mean in a real project)

Figure 3Figure 3

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All the subdivisions are "correct" but if you're asking if any would be preferred over the others, the answer to that is yes.

Generally, you want to preserve the largest blocks of unallocated addressing space, for future allocation purposes.

Figures 2 and 3 allocate, more or less, down the middle of the 10.0.0.0/24 block, while figure 1 pushes allocated address space down to the bottom of the 10.0.0.0/24 block.

You might also have allocated along the top  of the 10.0.0.0/24 block.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All the subdivisions are "correct" but if you're asking if any would be preferred over the others, the answer to that is yes.

Generally, you want to preserve the largest blocks of unallocated addressing space, for future allocation purposes.

Figures 2 and 3 allocate, more or less, down the middle of the 10.0.0.0/24 block, while figure 1 pushes allocated address space down to the bottom of the 10.0.0.0/24 block.

You might also have allocated along the top  of the 10.0.0.0/24 block.

Kieran Wang
Level 1
Level 1

@Joseph W. Doherty Thanks for your answer.

I haven't seen the way anybody did in figure 2 and figure 3, figure 1 might be more in line with our brain's way of thinking

". . . figure 1 might be more in line with our brain's way of thinking"

Or, hopefully, done for the reason I mentioned.  ; )

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card