cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnets unable to connect to each other

msnnh
Level 1
Level 1

I am a student in college and working on this project I have been able to set up my subnets and routers but while the computers are able to communicate within their subnet, i am unable to ping a computer on a different subnet and i cannot figure out why. any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I have changed your entire IP addressing scheme, so there are no overlapping networks anymore. You want to apply a certain logic to your IP addressing, such as: the first IP address of the subnet should be the default gateway.

If you are only allowed to use 4 subnets out of the 150.50.0.0 range, you would need to use:

150.50.0.0/18

150.50.64.0/18

150.50.128.0/18

150.150.192.0/18

and use different IP addresses for the WAN links (typically /30 subnets). Make sure these subnets are also advertised (in RIP in your case). Since you are using RIP, you need to use version 2 and configure 'no auto-summary'.

Attached the revised file.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

msnnh
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the packet tracer file that i am building. if there are any mistakes i made please let me know so i can fix them.

Hello,

all your IP addressing is wrong. You have lots of overlapping subnets, and connecting WAN interfaces in different subnets. What instructions are you following, what IP addressing scheme are you supposed to use ?

We were not given any specific scheme, we just need to make 4 subnets on the ip address 150.50.0.0 and be able to ping each computer form any other computer. i reached out to my teacher and all i was told was there were problems with my addressing for my routers which was not enough for me to figure out what i did wrong so i thought to reach out here. how could i resolve the overlap between my ip addresses? what would be the range i would need to avoid. Thank you.

Hello,

I have changed your entire IP addressing scheme, so there are no overlapping networks anymore. You want to apply a certain logic to your IP addressing, such as: the first IP address of the subnet should be the default gateway.

If you are only allowed to use 4 subnets out of the 150.50.0.0 range, you would need to use:

150.50.0.0/18

150.50.64.0/18

150.50.128.0/18

150.150.192.0/18

and use different IP addresses for the WAN links (typically /30 subnets). Make sure these subnets are also advertised (in RIP in your case). Since you are using RIP, you need to use version 2 and configure 'no auto-summary'.

Attached the revised file.

Ahh I see what I was doing wrong. If you do not mind is there any specific reason the WAN networks have to be on a different subnet? also what does the no auto summary option change?

Thank you for all your help.

jayadew787
Level 1
Level 1

Great! Thank you for sharing! 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card