cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch added to network not visible or visible as neighbor in network assistant.

terry.bell
Level 1
Level 1

We recently tried to add a 3750x switch to our small group of switches. Up until now, every switch we've added has been visible and configurable via network assistant. I've made sure the trunk vlans are the same, and the switch ip address is within the same group ofclass c address'. From network assistant running on a machine within one of the permissible vlans, the new switch shows as a neighbor, but not correct in the topology. From a copy of network assistant running on a different vlan, the switch is not visible within network assistant. I can telnet to the switch (only from behind the firewall..) so the switch is accessible, it just does not show properly or at all from within network assistant. Doing something stupid I'm sure, just not sure what.

thanx

tb

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue might be as simple as the 3750X isn't supported by Network Assistant.  The latter was aimed as the SMB market while the 3750X is an "Enterprise" level (which sometimes presumes you have "Enterprise" level engineers and/or tools).

Sorry, no. Almost all our switches are 3750x series. We use one or two
3560's in areas with less traffic.

thanx

tb

Ok, is the problematic switch the same exact model as one of your other and running exactly the same IOS version and license?

Figured it out. Initially the switch was in a class b subnet, but all
the rest of the switches were in a class c.

After I caught the error, I was expecting Network Assistant to recognize
the switch automatically.

It did not, but  neighbors folder did appear.

After forcing Network Assistant to modify the community by rescanning
from a seed address = to the address of the switch

I wanted added, the device was added to the topology.

thanx

tb

Good to hear you found the issue and you posted that too!

If possible, see if you can mark your last posting as "solved".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: