Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog.log file size doesnt change automatically

lalit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I am using Ciscoworks Lms 3.2 and one thing i observed is syslog.log file size is growing but when i see the file size it shows some MB's and the moment i take the mouse cursor on to the file and click properties then immediately the file size changes automatically ( example 100 Mb to 140MB ).This means the syslog.log file size doesnt get reflect unless and untill i check the file size properties each and every time.This problem i started facing after changing the location of the syslog.log file.

Initially the syslog.log file size used to change automatically and now every time i should take the mouse cursor on the file and just click properties and immediately file size wll change.It is something like syslog.log file hung unless and untill i click on the file and file size properties will change.

Please let me know if you find anything.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

1 Reply 1

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The problem you describe seems to indicate an issue with how Windows handles it's file manager and not a problem with LMS per se.

You may benefit from using an application such as http://tailforwin32.sourceforge.net/

Here are some notes on syslog location:

1. Stop the syslog daemon in Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services (CWCS/CMF Syslog Service)

2. Stop the Syslog Collector via the command line on DOS: cd C:\progra~1\CSCOpx\binpdterm SyslogCollector

3. Create the new syslog.log file (say d:\ciscoworks\syslog.log), ensure that casuser has full access to this file.

4. Open the Registry (Regedit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Crmlog\Parameters Right mouse on this "LogFile" line-->Modify Note: If you want to change the default Syslog Message Sourcelocation, you must first set the new location in the Windows Registry and only then change the Message Source location in the RME-->Administration-->SyslogAnalyzer-->Change Storage Options dialog box.

5. Use an editor and modify the entry for: SYSLOG_FILES= in $NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/csc/data/Collector.properties

6. Start the Syslog daemon in Services (see step 1).

7. Start SyslogCollector Process via CLI on DOS:pdexec SyslogCollector

8. Update the location of the syslog.log file in the logstat.conf file. (The logstat.conffile is located at CSCOpx/conf.) This ensures that the new syslog.log file isreferenced when you generate a Log File Status report (Common Services --> Server -->Reports --> Log File Status).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: