cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 Fault notification forwarding; Wrong value for cenAlarmServerAddress

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

LMS 4.1 on Win2k8 R2; in "Admin > Network > Notification and Action Settings" I have configured an EventSet and afterwards I created a Notification Group; I defined a subscription for it in "Fault - SNMP trap notification" and the events are forwarded successfully to the recipient; The only thing is, that the message that is forwarded contains this element:

cenAlarmServerAddress=127.0.0.1

from the CISCO-EPM-NOTIFICATION-MIB

but the value should be the IP Address of the LMS Server instead of the localhost address. On a parallel system with  LMS 3.2, cenAlarmServerAddress does have the IP address of the LMS server;

I cannot find a way to change the value for cenAlarmServerAddress in LMS 4.1 to be the address of the LMS server. But this is necessary to differentiate events from different forwarding sources.

Does anybody know where to localhost address come from and where the value for cenAlarmServerAddress can be changed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've gone through the code, and I think this is a server configuration issue.  I have confirmed my 4.1 server has the correct values in the epm_alarm table in the dfmEpm database.  Essentially, the cenAlarmServerAddress value will be derived from the source column in the epm_alarm table.  This source value is set by first obtaining the server's IP address using standard Java code.  Therefore, I assume that the server's local hostname must be resolving to 127.0.0.1.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've gone through the code, and I think this is a server configuration issue.  I have confirmed my 4.1 server has the correct values in the epm_alarm table in the dfmEpm database.  Essentially, the cenAlarmServerAddress value will be derived from the source column in the epm_alarm table.  This source value is set by first obtaining the server's IP address using standard Java code.  Therefore, I assume that the server's local hostname must be resolving to 127.0.0.1.

thanks Joe for your efforts! - and again, you are correct...

resolver.pl LMSserverName

returned 127.0.0.1 as the servers' address - and where did it come from? - the hosts file... There, the hostname and FQDN of the server had entries which pointed to 127.0.0.1 - no clue why this was done. For a test I commented out these entries and at least resolver.pl now returns the correct IP address of the server.

I tried to force a Fault Notification Trap to be sent, but currently no chance; Usually I can do this by just clear a currently active event which gets forwarded, but this time it seems not working. I can mark the event, I get a pop-up to to change the name and make annotations, I even can click on "Yes" to confirm the action -but then nothing happens. - I tried these steps a couple of times the last 45 mins- I think I will wait know until the HighUtil goes a way and drink a wine meanwhile :-)

and I believe cenAlarmServerAddress will be correct now...

finally I reloaded dmgtd because it seems, that epm got stuck; After the reload, now all traps gets forwarded with correct IP address.

Thank you again, Joe!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco