cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslogging routing table updates

ckeithjones
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stable network that rarely has any routing changes. I would like any routing table updates to be sent to a logging server or possibly generate a trap so I am aware of the changes. Currently I use a Debug ip routing command and get the output sent. Is there another way to accomplish this without using the debug command?

Keith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, the routing event detector is only available in EEM 3.0 and higher.  This is only available on the new Sup 2T for the Cat6500.  Prior to that ED, you would need to periodically scan the routing table, look for differences, and notify on the differences.  Depending on the size of the routing table, this could be very CPU intensive.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This will depend on your version of IOS.  Newer versions of IOS include the Embedded Event Manager version 3.0.  This version of EEM includes a route table event detector that can be used to spot routing updates.  You can try something like this:

event manager applet routing-changes

event routing type all network 0.0.0.0/0 ge 1

action 1.0 syslog msg "Routing table changed; Type: $_routing_type, Network: $_routing_network, Mask: $_routing_mask, Protocol: $_routing_protocol, Gateway: $_routing_lastgateway, Interface: $_routing_lastinterface"

That's exactly what I need however on our Catalyst 6500 switches it appears the "routing" event is not an option. Is there another workaround for this or is it possibly just a limitation of our IOS ((s72033_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXH8a)?

Keith

Unfortunately, the routing event detector is only available in EEM 3.0 and higher.  This is only available on the new Sup 2T for the Cat6500.  Prior to that ED, you would need to periodically scan the routing table, look for differences, and notify on the differences.  Depending on the size of the routing table, this could be very CPU intensive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: