cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560G Linkdown mib

valides007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  We are having trouble determining which OID & MIB would represent a LinkDown condition on a port of a Cisco 3560 switch.  There seems plenty of references to OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.11.0.2 / Cisco-General-Traps however after a MIB walk this OID doesn’t even exist on the 3560 and this reference seems outdated.  Does anyone know what MIB file and OID we can use to receive LinkDown traps for the 3560?

7 Replies 7

Gaganjeet Chug
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Kindly share the show version output of the device.

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

I have no access to the cisco switch now, but I can share this with you:

Switch #1: WS-3560G-48TS

Switch #2: WS-3560G-24TS

Version on both switches is 12.2

Hi,

Its better if I will have the image name. The link down trap are supported on 3560 from quite old version too like 12.2(25)SEE1 but there had been so many bugs files on those old version , few of them are quite famous like :-

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsm75864

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsg80228

So, i will suggest you to better upgrade IOS to 12.2(4x) or 12.2(5x) to get rid off the above bugs in old ios in case if they are suitable for your environment that you can check with your network team.

Since i dont have show tech, you can make sure that you have the trap properly enabled for the linkup down as

go to the config mode and enable the trap for linkup and linkdown with the command

#snmp-server enable trap linkup ?

Also make sure you select the correct outgoing interface for sending the trap from device to your NMS server.

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Thank you again for your reply.

Well we are getting the traps from the switch to the NMS server, but we are having hard time to determine the OID & MIB that represent a LinkDown condition.

Can you refere me to the right OID for a linkdown on this switch type (3560G-48TS or 3560G-24TS)?

Regards

Hi,

The OID/TRAP you are seeing is

linkDown OBJECT-TYPE
     -- FROM     IF-MIB
     TRAP
     VARBINDS     { ifIndex, ifAdminStatus, ifOperStatus }
     DESCRIPTION    "A linkDown trap signifies that the SNMPv2 entity,
               acting in an agent role, has detected that the
               ifOperStatus object for one of its communication links
               is about to enter the down state from some other state
               (but not from the notPresent state).  This other state
               is indicated by the included value of ifOperStatus."

This follows the IETF standard, while some of the cisco devices will report this one:

linkDown OBJECT-TYPE
     -- FROM     CISCOTRAP-MIB
     TRAP
     VARBINDS     { ifIndex, ifDescr, ifType, locIfReason }
     DESCRIPTION    "A linkDown trap signifies that the sending
                          protocol entity recognizes a failure in one of
                          the communication links represented in the
                          agent's configuration."

Most of the new IOS versions will conform to the IETF standard, while older versions will
conform to the Cisco standard. 

In some IOS images, you can specify the ietf keyword to force the newer bahavior,
otherwise, without it, it will default to the cisco version of the trap. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/command/reference/nm_20.html#wp1013322

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Hi,

Kindly close thread if you got the answer you was looking for.

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

How do you close the thread?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: