cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

.tbc support on IOS XE version 17.9.4a

RED255
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone, having issues with the successful use of .tbc (precompiled .tcl files via procomp).  I have used this previously on some older IOS codes without issue, and looking at the system management guides it looks to be supported.  However when attempting to run the .tbc file - IOS returns the following error:

The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version
while executing
"error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version""
invoked from within
"if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} {
error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"
..."

I'm starting to think that the version of IOS XE doesn't support ByteCode Loader at all.....  Tried commenting out the if check at the tope of this code.... still errored out, but instead errored out on the next command to be called... which is:
" tbcload::bceval {
TclPro ByteCode 1 0 1.3 8.3
36 0 382 64 0 0 320 0 16 36 36 -1 -1
382......(rest of compiled code follows)

@Joe Clarke - I've interfaced with you in the past on some of this - any insight?

Open to insight from anyone else.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCdw77138

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

M,

Not trying to be argumentative here, but I don't see the relationship between the topic in your link, and specifically the described workaround:

"Make sure these two lines are not commented out in MGC_Tookit. TCL_LIBRARY=${TCL_DIR}/lib/tcl8.3 TK_LIBRARY=${TCL_DIR}/lib/tk8.3"

I'm not aware of an "MGC_Tookit" within Cisco IOS XE, and I'm using TCLPro (Procomp) to compile the .tcl files into .tbc

Can you expound upon your response?

Update....
   I did find a way to display the packages within TCL on Cisco IOS... with command:
ROUTER#tclsh

ROUTER#(tcl) package names

udp Tcl

.....other reference documents show that the output of this command should include "tbcload"

Has tbcload been removed from this IOS XE product chain?  and if so can it be re-added?

Ultimately - is there a way to protect the .tcl code through obfuscation?

xabrouck
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We dropped support for bytecode loading (TBC files) because of CSCvq05584 Cisco IOS and IOS XE Software Tcl Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability.

Out of curiosity, why do you require obfuscation?