cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminal Monitor command by default

Lucas Rene
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys. Everytime i telnet into one of my cisco devices i have to issue the terminal monitor command in order to see any logging messages. Is there a way to set this command by default on every vty lines? 

Thanks! 

CCENT
5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not aware of a way to by default enable terminal monitor for every vty session.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use the command "logging monitor <level>".  For example:

logging monitor informational

I would not personally do this though.  If you device is very busy logging stuff if makes what you are doing almost unreadable as log messages will be inter-mixed.

Some Cisco platforms support the "logging synchronous" command which causes the output to pause when you are typing something in (if you really really want to enable logging to telnet sessions).

- This is for verbose logging , but will still not enable logging for a particular vty line.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

So, there is no way then? I have to do the terminal monitor command every time i loggin?

thanks

CCENT

- Actually , Philip's advise may be correct , using logging monitor informational ,in the configuration, my bad I confused it with logging trap informational which only increases the verbosity of syslog messages. That being said the reason for the native behavior is that IOS expects that by default the terminal session will be used for managerial and configuration purposes.  The console output, if desired , must be manually activated (indeed).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: