cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP copy not prompting for destination

adrian916
Level 1
Level 1

I have always backed up the startup / running config of cisco switches with copy start (or run) tftp.

This then prompts for 'address or name of remote host' (supply IP address of tftp server)

after that, it prompts for the file name and then copies the file.

we have recently been installing Cisco 9300 switches at multiple sites. For the majority, this backup command has worked as normal, however, I have 2 sites (each with multiple stacks and the problem appears on every stack on these sites) where the command doesn't work.

I enter copy start tftp, but then it prompts:

destination file [tftp]?

press enter and it says file copied successfully. But copied where? it hasn't prompted for a destination - just a file name.

There is no tftp server pre-defined in the config. Every site has the same overall config (just site specific information changes e.g ip addresses).

I've never seen this before and as mentioned, 9300 switches on other sites work just fine. It's just these 2 sites where I cannot backup any config as it won't allow me to specify a destination.

Has anyone seen this before or know why these 2 sites would be different to all the rest?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI there,

Try adding a semi-colon after the tftp so the CLI interpreter knows you are specifying the protocol and not a filename:

copy start tftp:

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI there,

Try adding a semi-colon after the tftp so the CLI interpreter knows you are specifying the protocol and not a filename:

copy start tftp:

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb

After weeks of scratching my head, I finally figured it out just before your post came through by tabbing through the cli commands.

You are indeed right - adding a colon prompts for the destination as expected.

To make sure I wasn't going mad, I went back to one of the other sites and checked that they do actually work WITHOUT the colon.

The one that works without is IOS version 16.6.3, those that require a colon are all version 16.8.1, so something has changed in the IOS version that now makes it essential.

All the switches were purchased within the last 6 months but have obviously come with different IOS installed.

Thanks for your prompt reply - everything is now backed up!

Could you give an example of what you are talking about? replace which ":" with a ";".

I think 'semi-colon' is a typo. It should be a colon immediately after tftp

Older ios accepted:

Copy run tftp

The newer ones required:

Copy run tftp: 

Hope that helps