Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Firewall to One router

hithere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone! 

I think that i'm really newbie and in  view of that I have a problem im not able to resolve.

I have two firewall working in active/passive mode, and only one router with only L3 interfaces. 

How to configure two interfaces with the same ip addrese? 

I found out that there is somethink like "interface backup" and it's works but with restriction, i mean only when phisical interface go down, then the backup interface go up. 

is there any way to do it?  

19 Replies 19

Richard, @MHM Cisco World . Thank you for your advice. On Monday I’m going to test it. I will share with you with the result. 

Hello,

you can use the same IP address on two interfaces, as long as one of them is in 'shut' (administratively down) state. An EEM script might be a better option. Post the running configuration of your router (put descriptions on the interfaces to indicate what is connected to which interface).

hithere
Level 1
Level 1

As @Richard Burts  and @MHM Cisco World mention  to do it I used  Interface BDI assigned to two phisical interface on my router. It works fine. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.  I am glad that our suggestions have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card