cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unwanted interface Alarms and Events in PI2.0

r.westman
Level 1
Level 1

We receive a lot of interface events and alarms from our 3560s access ports. We have not deployed any interface monitoring yet but still hundreds of alarms and events warns us about interfaces going up and down. Anyone who know why Prime is monitoring all interfaces and how to disable that?

Many tanks in advance       

5 Replies 5

Those IF alarms are generated based on SNMP traps from your 3560.

You have the possibility to disable traps for certain interfaces/explicitly enable traps for interfaces.

Thanks for your answer.

This is really strange. We have not configured any snmp trap receivers on our 3560s. I did a tcpdump on the Prime for aprox one hour. No snmp traps was received but still the Prime alarmed on access ports going down on the 3560s.

It seems like the Prime did a interface status snapshot of a the 3560 when it was added to the Prime and now it compare the current device interfaces status with that snapshot with snmp-get. Just a crazy thought.  

Additional lab tests shows that all interfaces of a device indeed is monitored by snmp. When an interface changes from UP to DOWN/DISABLE an event and an alarm is generated. We have not deployed any "Interface health montoring" and still the interfaces are monitored. Not good for access ports.

As a workaround we created a new Interface health monitoring template with the interface availability check disabled and just one other check enabled (interface util) and deployed it on two specific ports on a switch. Did not help. Alarms were still generated when the access ports were disabled.

Any ideas?

Westman,

What you can do, is to go to Administration>System settings>Serverity Configuration.  Change the serity for the condition (Link down) under the Category (Controller) to informational.  The down side of this workaround is that you will not get alerts for your interconnection links.  This workaround worked for me because I am runing both PI 2.0 and LMS 4.2. 

r.westman,

My experience matches yours. I agree it shouldn't work that way. In LMS we can unmanage slected interfaces and not get alarms on them.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card