cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Cisco 1941 from 154-3.M1 to 156-3.M4

nwalsh2018
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am hoping someone could help. I have a cisco router that i had inhearded and im looking to upgrade the firmware from 154-3.M1 to 156-3.M4 and im looking for some advise as i have never done this before. so i would say yes i am a noob doing this.

My question is it safe to upgrade this version from 154 to 156? or would i need to upgrade 155 then 156?

Also what is the best recommendaton for if i break it. is there best practice for rollback to my current version 154? as i have a copy of my running config saved as a txt file.

Thanks

Noel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thiland
Level 3
Level 3

The older routing platforms that using a single monolithic image (ISR G1/G2 routers) are typically fine upgrade directly to a new version of code without interim steps.

Backup your configuration in the current version since an upgrade may not support all of the current config.

Always check the release notes for upgrade caveats before moving to the new image.  With that said, I wouldn't anticipate any issues moving from 15.4M to 15.6M.  If enough flash, keep the old image in flash so it's easy to rollback.

Load the new image in flash, verify it's MD5 hash ("verify" command), change the boot statement in your config, write mem, and reload.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

thiland
Level 3
Level 3

The older routing platforms that using a single monolithic image (ISR G1/G2 routers) are typically fine upgrade directly to a new version of code without interim steps.

Backup your configuration in the current version since an upgrade may not support all of the current config.

Always check the release notes for upgrade caveats before moving to the new image.  With that said, I wouldn't anticipate any issues moving from 15.4M to 15.6M.  If enough flash, keep the old image in flash so it's easy to rollback.

Load the new image in flash, verify it's MD5 hash ("verify" command), change the boot statement in your config, write mem, and reload.

thats great thanks for the info, as i knew someone would have a better understanding than i would. i do have enough space to have both exising and new 15.6M saved.

Thanks again for all you adivse.

Noel.