Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Prime from 3.1.6 to 3.2 Issue

Tarek Assaf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am trying to upgrade prime from 3.1.6 to 3.2 but it gives me the below error.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1 of 7: Transferring file ...
% Repository not found
PrimeExpress/admin# APPlication upgrade PI-Upgrade-3.X_to_3.2.0.0.258.tar.gz defaultRepo
Save the current ADE-OS running configuration? (yes/no) [yes] ?
Generating configuration...
Saved the ADE-OS running configuration to startup successfully

Please ensure you have a backup of the system before proceeding.
Proceed with the application upgrade ? (yes/no) [yes] ?

DO NOT press ^C while the upgrade is in progress
Aborting upgrade with a ^C may leave the system in a unrecoverable state

Initiating Application Upgrade...
Stage 1 of 7: Transferring file ...
-- complete.
Stage 2 of 7: Unpacking file ...
-- complete.
Stage 3 of 7: Executing pre-install ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
System will reboot a few times to complete the upgrade process.
Please monitor the upgrade progress from the system console.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ERROR : Please run the application upgrade from the system console to
monitor upgrade progress. Use system monitor, serial terminal or a virtual console
to initiate the upgrade.

WARNING : It is strongly recommended to copy the latest backups to an
external repository before proceeding with the upgrade.

% Pre-install step failed. Please check the logs for more details.

Prime Version.

Cisco Prime Infrastructure
Version : 3.1.0
Build : 3.1.0.0.132
Critical Fixes:
PI 3.1.6 Maintenance Release ( 6.0.0 )
Device Support:
Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Device Pack 9 ( 9.0 )
Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Device Pack 11 ( 11.0 )

Please adivse how to upgrade from console, our prime is installed on Vmware and the console is different than cisco.

19 Replies 19

Hello,

Just open up a SSH session to Prime VM or use VMWare console. It is the same.

I accesses through VMWARE console, it is not same as commands as cisco. however, i did ssh to the server IP address but it gave me the same error.

I accesses through vmware console, it is not same as commands as cisco. however, i did ssh to the server IP address but it gave me the same error.

You can only run the upgrade  command via the console.M

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Do you mean to put the application upgrade xxxx defaultRepo?

Tarek

Yes,you need to run the full upgrade command from the console.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

The virtual console of the Prime is linux CLI not Cisco CLI. If i need to do the upgrade from the Linux CLI what i have to do ?

Thank you for your support.

Tarek

It should be prime cli upon initial logon.linux cli is possible but requires extra commands. If it is not prime cli upon initial logon , then the prime vm might be in a bad state. A reboot is advised, check for errors during the bootup too. M.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Is the upgrade file named correctly ; and or does the defaultRepo repository exist ? Logon via SSH to the prime server ; issue 'dir' or  'dir disk:/defaultRepo' (if I remember correctly). (check for errors)

M.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>Please adivse how to upgrade from console, our prime is installed on Vmware and the console is different than cisco.

- You need to access your vmware environment using a vsphere client; from this application you usually will be able to access the console of the virtual host (your Prime server) . Modern vmware versions of vmware offer a remote console app (VMRC); so you can access the console of a host from anyware.

Check VMWARE documentation.

M.

I tried from SSH and the upgrade error'ed out. However, after doing it directly from the console on vSphere, upgrade went through fine.

Hi Jason,

I am planning to upgrade prime from 3.1.0 to 3.2 using command line.

We have HA(HIgh Availability settings as well.

Did you have HA in your environment also could you please share any document which has straight fwd steps, that would be really appreciating.

Here you go. I hope it helps.

No my installation was standalone. The attached document will explain the steps for HA upgrade.

Thanks Jason that was spot on.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card