Views
Helpful
Replies

User tracking over a firewall context LMS3.1

orsonjoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I think that the user tracking mechanism combines switch cam-tables and router arp-tables to resolve a host on a switch port by name ip address etc.

This mechanism works correct on actual routers, but doesn't seem to work on Firewall Services Module Security Context.

I think that Ciscoworks LMS 3.1 can't read the ARP table on the firewall context and therefore doesn't have enough information for the user tracking list.

This means that hosts or devices that are directly connected to an interface of the Firewall Services Module can't be resolved in the user tracking list.

Is this a known feature, or will this issue be resolved in future releases of Ciscoworks or is this a setting somewhere?

Thanks again Mr. Clarke :))

1 Reply 1

g.meerkoetter
Level 1
Level 1

Good question, I'm also interested in jclarke's answer.

It is currently not possible to get ARP table information out of any Cisco firewall device, since they simple do not support the necessary parts of the MIB. I wonder if anybody inside Cisco has asked the developers for it?

CM usertracking will also collect L3-L2 mapping info from switches running dhcp snooping. So if you are using DHCP, this can be a workaround.