cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using iPad to console into Cisco router/switch

frodriguez415
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what was needed to console into a router/switch using a iPad Pro

3 Replies 3

there are some solutions. found https://www.get-console.com/shop/. you can inquire about how its work from seller.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hello,

I think the iPad Pro has a USB-C (not a Lightning) port. The 'newer' Cisco devices (such as the Catalyst 9K switches) have RJ-45 and USB Mini-Type B ports, for the older (USB-A) ports you would need a USB-C to USB-A cable. For the really old devices with serial console ports, you would need a USB-C to serial (DB-9) cable.

New ipads do have USB C. Unfortunately, Apple seems to have locked down their system so you can't use any USB C adapters for Cisco console access. I have personally tried USB C to usb mini (9200 & 2900), usb c to rj45, and usb adapter to usb A with serial adapter. All a no go, all work fine on Windows and I have had success with Android also... It's a bummer, don't want to drop $100 on air console stuff that has a battery and I've witnessed to be so-so on reliability. It's a shame, Ipad seems like the perfect platform for a quick switch config, or verification in the field, wish it was a computer to do work on rather than an expensive toy. Oh well.