Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan counters with snmp

mskrzypczak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how to access VLANxx counters (OIDs for InOctets and OutOctets) on Catalyst WS-C6506 with SNMP? Unfortunately, I've failed with finding solution on my own.

Mirek

2 Replies 2

sstudsdahl
Level 4
Level 4

Mirek,

You can use the same OID's that you would for a physical interface located in the IF-MIB. Here are the OID's that you can use:

ifInOctets = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10

ifOutOctets = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16

You may want to look at the SNMPv2 OID's instead as they won't roll so quickly on a high utilization link. They are also located in the IF-MIB and are:

ifHCInOctets = 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6

ifHCOutOctets = 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.10

All that being said, the information that is returned won't reflect the amount of data truly being sent though the switch. By default a Catalyst 6500 will be set for Multi Layer Switching. This will send the first packet in a flow to the MSFC, hitting the VLAN interface, and all subsequent packets will then be switched at layer 2, not touching the MSFC/VLAN interfaces. Here is a link for more information about MLS. http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/35.html

For a true depiction of the traffic that is flowing through the 6506, I would monitor the phyisical interfaces of the switch and not the virtual (VLAN) interfaces.

Steve

Hi,

Unfortunately these counters seems to be empty (0). I've asked about OIDs because now I'm doing that in maybe not very elegant way (also a bit uncomfortable) - using telnet, show vlan counters and cutting out values of L3-In/Out-Unicast-Octets.

Mirek