Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF-MGMT Security

Not applicable

How secure is vrf-mgmt interface on the 3850 switches and 4300 routers?  I plan to use vrf-mgmt interface for management on DMZ, and Public switches and Internet routers.  My concern is if someone break in the Internet router, does vrf-mgmt will provide the patch to corporate internal network?

Thanks,

Eric

2 Replies 2

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Connecting the management port of a switch to the internal network is secure as long as the switch has no layer3 interface (e.g. SVI) in the exposed zone. I don't think it can be taken over by an attacker without an IP address to connect to. (Assuming there is no factory backdoor with L3 access). (Of course, a DoS resulting in traffic block or device reload is possible but the device is not taken over.)

However, should a layer3 switch or router be cracked the attacker may have CLI access and he/she can attack the management network via the management vrf. So you'd better create a management DMZ for those devices.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Peter - there's no reason for a Layer 3 SVI on the Internet VLAN(s).

Make the only layer 3 on the switch be the management port and there's no management plane exposure to the Internet.